Sometimes people don’t know where to start when they think about writing or preserving family stories. This week’s writing prompt asks you to simply think about it first.
Reminisce with your memories. Make a list. Go old school with a pad of paper and a list of bullet points. Look through some old photo albums or look around your home at items that have a memory attached to them. What aspects of your life do you want to preserve:
- Childhood in the neighborhood
- Remembering grandparents or other family members
- A turning point in your life
- Overcoming a challenge
- Love and relationships in life
- Something your passionate about in life
- Civic and charitable giving
- Hopes for the future
- Key Life Lessons
- A single event
- pet stories
- Stories about possessions you’ve collected or saved.
From here you can begin asking yourself more in-depth questions. You’ll think about moments and details, like sights, sounds, smells, or feelings, that fill in the details and bring your stories to life.